Don´t be upset if a Finnish said no!

It is not too strange to receive this answer when you ask something in Finland. This has happened to me several times since that I am in Finland. Sometimes, when I am lost in Turku I try to ask people how to get the place that I want using my English as I am not able to speak Finnish properly yet. When this happen to me, I am very shocked because Finnish people could look like rude or impolite. 

However, I have asked this situation to some Finnish colleagues also looking on the internet and I Understand that I It is easier for them to say "no" that to look for the answer when they don't know or are not sure to understand what you really want. The language is very often an issue. But the culture also plays a role. Finns are honest people. No doubt about it. And usually lying is not in their habits.

An example that happen to me: I was in a shopping centre with a Spanish friend and we ask someone if he knew how arrive to a shop call "Turku" and the man looks us face to face and continued his way! can you imagine the situation? it was pretty shocking!
 
I realised that most Finnish people are not rude and they always want to help you overall if you are a foreigner. The problem often is that they are too shy or they are not confident to speak English but most of them will try to help you also they are able to speak English and Spanish sometimes. Never be upset if you listen "NO" from a Finnish!😛

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Giger y Davidhizar model (nursing and culture)

Dr L.Purnell and Paulanka model

Main theories about Culture and Society